They're Lying to You!|
The Independent Thinker--Critical Thinking, Activism, New Ideas
Almost EVERYONE is lying to you.
They are trying to protect themselves, they're trying to hang on to their
jobs, they're trying to maintain an image, they have an agenda. They are
NOT evil; they are just human. Almost ALL humans lie, both to others and
Your job, as a critical thinker, is to get past those lies and find out
what is really going on. Here are some guidelines:
- Don't focus on what people are saying. Focus, rather, on what they are
doing. Develop this as a habit and you will always be closer to the truth.
- Don't EVER put up with people not explaining their position. If they
cannot clearly explain why they are saying something, refuse to accept
their idea. Either they are lying, or they just don't know what they
are talking about.
- Don't lie to yourself. The world is complicated enough without you
adding another layer of confusion by lying to yourself. This does not
mean you have to BLAME yourself. Being honest with yourself does not
have to include feeling bad about yourself. We are all learning.
- Find reliable sources of information. If that is impossible, at least
try to find sources of information that will give you more than one
side of each issue.
- Don't worry about other people's opinions. Everyone who flunks out
has an opinion--and they are often LOUDER and more judgmental than the
people who make A's. The stupidest people have the most opinions because
they haven't learned how to be open-minded.
Please send comments to:
Colby Glass, MLIS