Grooming Salons


A Golden Retriever died of heatstroke after a groomer left him in a dryer for 20 minutes. "Similar tragedies have been reported several times...

"One problem is that the grooming industry is unregulated; there are no requirements for training or any kind of certification... As a result of the lack of regulation [dog owners have] little, if any, legal recourse [if their dogs are harmed].

"If you take your dogs to a grooming salon, be sure to find out if the staff is well-trained. Question the owner on the methods they use. You cannot be too careful" ("Tragedy At a Groomer's." AKC Gazette, June 2003, 10).


Colby Glass, MLIS